Baybears to reveal new name ahead of move to Huntsville
MOBILE, Ala. (WPMI) —
The Baybears will reveal the new team name September 5.
The team announced in July that they had narrowed down the list of potential names to 10 before putting it to a public vote.
From there, they narrowed the list down to 5:
- Comet Jockeys: "Rocket City" was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
- Moon Possums: A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family - just like going to a ballgame!
- Space Chimps: A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. She is buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
- ThunderSharks: Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama's storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won't mess with ThunderSharks.
- Trash Pandas (Slang for raccoon): Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver - dedicated to the challenge at hand - as our local raccoons!
The Baybears will move to Huntsville after their 2019 season.
They will announce the new name around 6:30 p.m.