Warning of flesh-eating bacteria found in Fairhope
FAIRHOPE, Ala. (WPMI) —
A warning this morning of a flesh-eating bacteria found in Fairhope.
A retired Mississippi teacher says she contracted vibrio vulnificus.
According to Gulf Coast Today news, the woman was fishing near the Municipal Pier two weeks ago when she reached into the bait bucket for live shrimp and pricked the back of her hand.
Three hours later, she became sick.
Officials say the bacteria occurs naturally in coastal areas of the gulf and infects people through open wounds or sores exposed to seawater, or by eating raw oysters.
Gulf Coast Today News reports the woman underwent two surgeries to remove dead tissue and will have reconstructive surgery on her hand and arm.
Doctors are calling her survival and recovery a miracle.