Daphne 3-year-old drowns in bathtub when father stepped out for a smoke
DAPHNE, Ala. (WPMI) —
Deputies in Baldwin County were called to a home in Daphne last night where a 3-year-old drowned in a bathtub. Investigators say the father who was watching the child was distracted when he stepped outside to smoke a cigarette and left the child alone in the tub.
The 911 call came in around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday night. Deputies say right now everything points to an unfortunate accident at the home located on Faircloth Place in Daphne.
The home is one of several on a private road not far from Daphne Middle School.
Investigators say the child was left playing in the tub for a period no longer than five minutes and that neighbors confirm the father was indeed outside smoking a cigarette.
"It's very, very tough to investigate it to try and be unbiased in your investigation. You need to let the investigation take you where it leads you and don’t make snap judgments, and that's what we are doing in this case. It appears to be an accident but if our investigation takes us somewhere else then we will do what's appropriate," said Capt. Steve Arthur with the Baldwin County Sheriff's Office.
Investigators say an autopsy will give them more information.