Service Dog Application Process
At NBC 15 and Gulf Coast Today, we LOVE helping Service Dogs Alabama in their effort to provide Service Dogs for those in need.
If you or someone you are close to is looking to apply for a Service Dog, here are some things you need to know:
1. You must QUALIFY for a Service Dog.
2. Print the application, the fundraising goal agreement, doctor’s form, and two recommendation forms from the SDA website. Once you complete the forms, mail them to Service Dogs Alabama, P.O. Box 310 , Falkville, AL 35622 with a $25.00 non-refundable application fee made payable to Service Dogs Alabama.
3. Have two friends that you have known for over a year who are non-family members fill out the Letter of Reference FORM on the Application and mail to SDA.
4. Have your Medical Doctor fill out the Doctor’s form on the application and mail it to SDA; this must be a Doctor who has treated you for six months or more.
5. After SDA has reviewed your application, which may take up to 30 days, they will contact you about your pending acceptance.
6. SDA will schedule a home visit and family interview after your application review to see if you will be a good candidate for one of the Service Dogs.
7. After your home inspection, SDA will notify you about any changes in your home environment that you need to make OR if no changes are necessary. SDA will then notify you of your acceptance and instruct you on how to proceed.
Please keep in mind that it takes time to select and train a Service Dog for your specific needs. Wait times can vary from 6 months to 2 years. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
All service dogs placed by SDA are 100% guaranteed to work for you or we will be take them back within the first 6 months and assign another dog to you. You will be provided with a health certificate from our service dog and all vaccination records. SDA does not guarantee the future health of your dog. At the time of placement, the recipient becomes responsible for all medical care for their service dog. If at any time you are unable to keep your service dog, you must return it to Service Dogs Alabama. All service dogs are transitioned to their recipient on a 30-day trial basis to make sure that particular dog is the right match for you. SDA reserves the right to repossess a service dog if we feel that it is being mishandled according to the Care and Training Guidelines provided to each recipient