90-year-old woman bitten by poisonous snake, drives herself to church
A 90-year-old woman is recovering tonight after being bitten by a venomous snake. The elderly woman was bitten at home but then drove to Hollinger's Island Baptist Church, where members called 911.
When 90 year old Nell Toenes arrived at her weekly crafty critter meeting, she told her girlfriends she'd had an interesting morning. She'd been bitten by a snake.
"And I said well what kind of snake, and oh I don't know but it's out in the car in a jar. She said I stomped him with my foot and put him in a jar and brought him with me," said Barbara Rabbitt.
A quick search online and the ladies realized, she'd been bitten by a poisonous water moccasin. The snake had bitten her on her right hand while she was in the garage.
"She thought it was a leaf. It was coiled up, and she was just going to pick it up," said Rabbitt.
Even though her hand was starting to swell and turn blue, to Toenes, the bite was much ado about nothing.
"When the ambulance got here and they brought the gurney in, she said I refuse. She knew she was out numbered she knew she had to go," said Rabbitt.
"She's spunky and fun and she's just very matter of fact about the whole situation, not stressed out, just more irritated she got bit than anything else," said Hollinger's Island Baptist Church Secretary Sharon Powell.
Powell says Toenes' daughter called the church to let them know she was being treated at the hospital and was expected to be ok.